General Wedding Church Requirements

NOTE: Other Churches/Parishes may require some other documents and/or seminars not specified below. To be sure, inquire at the parish office of the church you wish to be married in.

1. Baptismal and Confirmation Certificates: These relates to both the bride’s and the groom’s. These must be new copies and must have an annotation: “FOR MARRIAGE PURPOSES ONLY” and must have been secured not more than three (3) months before the date of marriage.

FOR MIXED MARRIAGE (different religions or Disparitas Cultas): a dispensation must be secured from the Archdiocesan Chancery Office at the Arzobispado de Manila, 121 Arzobispo St., Intramuros, Manila (near Manila Cathedral). The forms will be provided at the Parish Office which will be released after the canonical interview with the Parish Priest or his assistant. These have to be submitted one week before the wedding.

2. Marriage License: This can be secured from the city or municipality hall where either the bride or the groom currently resides.
For those who are civilly married, a certified true photocopy of the Marriage Contract with the registry number of the city or town where the marriage was performed must be submitted one week before the wedding date.

3. Canonical Interview: This interview with the bride and the groom will be done one month before the wedding date and will be conducted by the parish priest or his assistant. The schedule of the interview will be given upon the signing of the application form. Failure to report on the interview date or failure to notify the office of any change in the schedule will mean cancellation of the application and reservation of the church for the upcoming wedding.

4. Pre-Marriage Seminar: Both the bride and the groom have to attend this. The schedule for the seminar will be given during the canonical interview or you may inquire at the parish office. Some churches may allow attendance in other pre-wedding seminars such as the Catholic Engaged Encounter (CEE) or Discovery Weekend (DW) as a suitable substitute (if you have already attended either one of these, inquire at the parish office if they recognize either CEE or DW in lieu of their Pre-Marriage Seminar.)

5. Permission from bride’s parish: a permit from the parish of the bride-to-be must be secured and presented to the parish office of the couple’s chosen ceremony venue. The form will be provided by the parish office of your chosen church.

6. Marriage Banns: These will be provided during the canonical interview and have to be immediately brought to the respective parishes of the bride and the groom for posting. These have to be returned to the office after three Sundays. (Note: the respective parishes may ask some requirements for the posting of the banns [i.e. a ID picture from the bride and the groom])

7. List of names and addresses of principal sponsors (Ninongs & Ninangs): This has to be submitted to the parish office one week before the wedding date. Church policy requires at least a pair of sponsors and, ideally, a maximum of six sponsors.

Additional Requirements for Specific Cases

for widows or widowers: A copy of the death certificate of the former spouse must be presented to the parish office.

for Renewal of Vows: remember to bring a copy of the Catholic Marriage Contract.

Incoming search terms:

  • renewal of vows in catholic church philippines


  1. Hi,
    I would like to know the minimum cost of church wedding and what are the requirements needed if the groom is from other country?

    • it’s 15k here in our parish.. if the other resides in other country you’ll be needing to go to chancery at intramuros for a list of additional requirements..

  2. I would like to know the requirements for a church wedding in the Philippines, couple is already married in US. Woman is Roman Catholic while Man is Christian but they want church blessings….

  3. Hello there,

    I have a questions about the rules of the catholic church about same year marriage with my siblings.
    They are getting married on april, and We are planning to get married on july.
    Are we allowed to have a wedding on the same year?

    Thank you.

  4. Hope to finish all the requirements before June 2012. Thanks for the info.

  5. Hey!
    I would just like to ask if we can obtain all the necessary government documents through an authorized person since both of us are working overseas. how many weeks would it take to process for everything? thanks!

  6. Marietta Teves Jakobsen says:

    Hi,we would like to ask what is the complete requirements so we are married in church.we are already married in denmark.Woman is roman catholic and the man is christian.Do I need to baptized him as a roman catholic.we want to be married this coming november or maybe late of october if possible.thanks for reading

  7. carolyn says:

    hi my fiance is a natural born us citizen and have just been recognized as filipino citizen on he still required to submit legal capacity to marry?

  8. how could we renew our vow since we are both catholic when we were born in the philippines but when we got to us we change our religion as christian we are both us citizen and we are already been married in the united we got married in civil and christian ceremony. now that our family are catholic in the philippines we want ro renew our vows in the philippines . is it possible and what are the requirements

  9. hi!my husband & i were civilly married here in the phils for 20yrs now.we are now planning to have a church we still need to apply/submit marriage license or just the original copy of our marriage contract?your response will be greatly appreciated…

Speak Your Mind